We are starting the manual cleaning of the open ditches and the concrete work on the main canal in early January. We will bring in the labor crew from Two Rivers Correctional Institution (the prison inmate work crew) beginning January 8 and continuing through mid-March.
This is the 18th year that we have used the Inmate Program for cleaning of the laterals and the 5th year for using them on the concrete main canal. We have been very pleased with the work in both time and value to the District.
Information about the inmate work crew:
- Crew work hours will generally be from 8:15 am to 3:00 pm
- We will start at Lateral 31 (the west end) and work up the canal
- We may bring in a second crew if we get behind due to cold weather
- The crews will be on the lateral or the canal right-of-way
- A District employee and a prison guard will be with them at all times
- The work crew will be clearly identifiable
- These are low security inmates, specifically selected for this work
If you live along the main canal or an open lateral and want to be notified a day in advance of the prison labor crew working along your property, please call the District office at 541-922-3814. We will put you on the notification list. You need to call in each year that you want to be notified, as we don’t keep records from year to year.
Thank you, and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.